Wednesday 14 July 2021

Monster mushrooms

Spotted near the bottom of a field on Ashey Down, visited in the margins of a visit to Carisbrooke Castle, on which last more in due course. A field in which there were no animals, although there had been cows there not that long ago, with cow pats still visible here and there. Grass fairly short.

First spotted at about fifty yards, at which distance, even with the monocular, I was not sure what they were. Discarded bags of something or other? Something agricultural?

But they turned out to be mushrooms, the biggest mushrooms I have ever seen, as can be judged by my keys on top of the middle sized one, third from the left.

I thought that they just large versions of the mushrooms one commonly buys in Sainsbury's, pushed up by the recent heavy rain and warm, humid weather. But I didn't attempt to pick one: indeed, I did not think of such a thing until I was well on my way. Would one be able to clean one OK? How would one cook it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment